Saturday, January 16, 2010

"Hearts For Haiti" New Etsy Shop Benefitting Doctors Without Borders



In August of 2005 life as we knew it changed, at least for a while, with the arrival of Hurricane Katrina. In a 12 hour time span, my family and I went from a comfortable, routine lifestyle to a world of chaos. We came to appreciate the luxury of a hot meal, a toilet that flushed, transportation, air conditioning, and clean water. Charitable organizations poured in from across the country, bringing food, water, and ice. They left their jobs for us, cooked for us, cleared our driveways, and patched our roofs. The kindness and generosity of strangers touched our hearts in a way that I hope never to forget. Although it is not possible to repay those kindnesses, I plan to never again miss an opportunity to "pay it forward".

I've been riveted to the television and internet since last Tuesday afternoon, when word came of the catastrophic earthquake in Haiti. The images coming from Haiti have taken me back to those frightening post-Katrina days. These are the times when we feel the most helpless, but each and every one of us can make a difference, especially if we pool our efforts.

A new shop, "Hearts For Haiti", has been opened at Etsy.com.
Organized by Victoria of ExlibrisHandmade, Hearts For Haiti is stocked with a variety of items donated by hundreds of Etsy shop owners. Proceeds from all sales (less etsy and paypal fees) will be donated to "Doctors Without Borders"

The shop opened yesterday (Friday,January 14th)and is already doing a booming business! Click on this link and stock up on treasures for a cause at "Hearts For Haiti"!

5 comments:

THREE LITTLE BIRDS said...

This is so wonderful...thanks for letting people know about this important fundraiser!

Artsnark said...

Hey, Jessie. Thanks for posting. If enough of us spread the word, who knows what we can accomplish

Victoria van der Laan said...

Thank you so much for posting about the shop. As the non tech savvy girl that I am I would love to know how you embedded the MSF slideshow!

♥Victoria

Kathy said...

Wonderful post Jessie, I am right there with you with memories of Katrina.

Heckety said...

I'm glad you posted about this, and I was interested to read your part of the aftermath of Katrina. I just can't begin to imagine what it would be like, but I know that it is our absolute duty to help people in need in whatever way possible.